United Way and its community partners provide resources and support for the physical and mental well-being of individuals and families in Sheboygan County. We invest in child welfare, nutrition and fitness, mental health services, and cancer/disease screening. By keeping people healthy today and working to prevent future health concerns, we can ensure a promising future for our community.
Health challenges in Sheboygan County
Good mental health is a serious need in Sheboygan County. One in five teenagers will suffer from depression before reaching adulthood, and suicide is the second leading cause of death among teenagers in Wisconsin.
How the United Way is making a difference
On March 21, 2014 over 300 community stakeholders attended a Community Conversation about Mental Health and Alcohol & Drug Abuse. This Community Conversation was sponsored by:
- Aurora Health Care
- Healthy Sheboygan County 2020
- Lakeshore Community Health Care
- Mental Health America in Sheboygan County
- Safe Harbor
- Sheboygan County Health & Human Services
- Sheboygan County Service Providers
- St. Nicholas Hospital/Prevea
- The Salvation Army
- United Community for Youth – Drug Free Community Grant
- United Way of Sheboygan County
The objectives for the day were:
- Identify 3-5 community priorities to improve mental health and alcohol & other drug abuse systems in Sheboygan County.
- Encourage community involvement through the recruitment of action team members to move the priorities forward.
- Move in a direction to create good mental health in our community.
At the end of the day, Community Conversation participants had discussed almost 100 recommendations that were categorized into three overarching classifications: Education, Access and Continuity of Care. Some of the next steps include:
- Organization of Community Action Teams to develop proposals to address the identified community needs.
- Aurora Health Care has volunteered to provide a .5 FTE to assist with project management during the next 12 months as Teams work to develop the proposals.
- The ACUITY Charitable Foundation is working with Aurora Health Care and will raise funds for behavioral health programs and services through the ACUITY Health Challenge in July and a major event this fall.
- The United Way of Sheboygan County (UW) is teaming with the Healthy Sheboygan County 2020 Mental Health Committee to determine a community initiative that UW could help address.
Information on the Community Conversation including a summary of the recommendations and updates on the next steps is posted on the Mental Health America of Sheboygan County website at www.mhasheboygan.org.